(1) COREONTO Project Outline
The objective of the COREONTO project is to construct an IT ontology infrastructure and a service technology based on this infrastructure. The IT ontology infrastructure is composed of core technologies of the Semantic web, such as schema design and construction, ontology instance generation, inference (reasoning), ontology saving and other elemental technologies. IT ontology service technology development aims at developing the service technology needed to commercialize the IT ontology infrastructure.
(1) Properties of Language Resources
* Definition of the Resource (Language Resource)
Language resource refers to any spoken or written language produced when natural language, which is any pronouncement resulting from human language activities, is processed and developed into a form that can be decoded by a machine (computer). Corpus, which stores and organizes diverse language data; CoreNet, which classifies each word according to its meaning and arranges words by their relations; and electronic dictionaries used for internal computer tasks in natural language processing, are a few examples of such resources.
* High Usability of Language Resource
Once a language resource is digitized and stored as a computer file or in DB form, it can be easily replayed, sent, processed, and reused. Thus, the resource is considered to have high usability compared to other resources.
* Specialized Language Processing Ability Required
Language is a crucial resource that is exchanged and distributed more and more as information technology develops. A wide range of language information is currently being circulated through the web. As such, language specialists with knowledge in Korean or in linguistics should be involved in the stages of language resource development, from resource construction to multi-lingual processing, linguistic analysis, and natural language processing.
* An Area that Requires a Long-term Approach
The construction of a language resource is a task that progresses gradually when compared to developments in other areas, yet requires focused capital and manpower. Considering the fact that around 10 years is required to compile a language dictionary, and additional time must be put into follow-up tasks such as collecting and adding in neologisms, it can be expected that other language resource constructions may also take as much time and effort. However, the overall effect that is achieved when such resources are effectively used makes the efforts worthwhile.
* Continual Improvement Required to Meet the Changing Demands of the Times
Like an organism, language evolves by continuously being created, changed, and destroyed. Language needs to be supplemented on a regular basis to adapt to changing circumstances and retain its value as a resource. The simple multi-lingual information format language resources currently being used separately in each specialized area and in each country need to evolve again to meet the needs of the ubiquitous computing environment and the upcoming ubiquitous era.
(2) Purpose of the BORA
The BORA is a materials bank that develops, manages, and distributes the language resources with the above-mentioned qualities. It provides the resources to a wide range of users, including private users, research organizations, and corporations, for a fee or free of charge. It was established to decrease the cost of language research and provide assistance in academic studies, and is still in operation today.
|(1) KORTERM’s Research Objectives|
* Organize the information on terminologies used in each specialized discipline, the number of which has exploded with the dawning of the knowledge and information era, and has been transformed into a database. Above all, compile a multi-lingual terminology list in Korean and English for each specialized area.
* Complete the standardization-based project and resolve the confusions in terminologies caused by disorderly and privatized uses following the information overflow.
* Compile a list of terminologies by investigating their actual uses based on specialized corpora, and construct a management model that can generate standard forms of such terminologies.
* Contribute to terminology management and the popularization of standardized terminology uses by developing and servicing an integrated search system for cross-searching the already compiled terminologies, and the tools for providing other terminology related information.
* Raise the social awareness of terminology management by progressing work in compliance with international standards (ISO); through scholarly research; by combining opinions and exchanging information in addition to providing methodologies through symposiums and forums; and through education and advertisement using various publications.